Health  

In Nepal, three coronavirus variants have been discovered

coronavirus

Last week, gene sequencing of 35 swab specimens obtained from persons in diverse locations of Nepal revealed the existence of three novel coronavirus strains.

According to the Ministry of Health, gene sequencing at the CSIR Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology in India, which has been designated by the World Health Organization as a centre of excellence in genomic sequencing, new variant B.1.617.2 was discovered in 34 specimens, accounting for 97 percent of the total sample, while another variant B.1.617.1 was discovered in the remaining one, accounting for about 3% of the total sample. The test also confirmed the presence of three coronavirus strains in Nepal.

On May 10, 2021, the WHO designated the new variant as the COVID variation of ‘global concern.’

According to a study, the new variants are transmissible to people of all ages and are considered dangerous.

Because the variants have been known to be more contagious, the Ministry of Health has urged everyone to be cautious and follow health safety standards to avoid infection.